Many tourists skip West Java and Banten, and go to Bali or Komodo first. Peucang is considered too far and perhaps too expensive. Whatever the reason, it is worth the trip.
If there is a place that you will remember for the rest of your life, it is Peucang. Small island, green, trees, forest, deers, wild boars, monkeys wandering around. Sparkling shallow water, pristine sandy beaches, a place to be alone. Sit there by the pier or white sandy beach, watch the green lush mystical Ujung Kulon forest at the distance across the Peucang Strait. A dark stork flying by, very low almost touching the waters, aiming for fish. A sea eagle high above the sky, lurking down. Before sunset, big black bats fly from one tree to another, to find a place for the night. Once in a while a baby shark swims to the shallow waters, full of small fish to be eaten. As it gets darker, sound of cicadas in the quiet night, owl, and other night birds.
It’s a place to listen to nature, and your heartbeat. It’s calm, quiet. Wake up early morning when it’s still dark and wait for sunrise lurking slowly from behind the Ujung Kulon forest, painting the skies with glowing colours. It’s Paradise !
Notable dignitaries who have visited the Peucang Island and Ujung Kulon National Park are: Charles Lindbergh in 1967, and Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, in 1989 on their quests to see a live Javan Rhino in Ujung Kulon National Park.
Panaitan or Prince Island
For surfing enthusiasts the waves near Panaitan Island is more than challenging if not scary. Above Peucang Island lies this bigger but totally uninhabited island, where in 1771 Captain James Cook anchored HMS Endeavour. Somehow, Panaitan Island was once named Nassau Island, an interesting blog here by Peter Ulrich Zanger http://nassau-java.blogspot.com about the history of the island.
Getting to Krakatau, Peucang Island, or Ujung Kulon National Park.
Route from Soekarno-Hatta International Airport “Jakarta International Airport” located in Banten Province:
- We will meet you at the airport and take you via Merak Toll Road to Carita. After about two hours drive, exit the toll road, we will be driving on the Anyer-Carita coastal-road, along the east coast of Banten. This is a long stretched resort area, a weekend getaway for Jakarta inhabitants who love beaches and sea. The view is refreshing. Palm trees, beaches, villas, cottages, and a silhouette of Mount Krakatau is also visible.
- Arrive at Carita, checkin at the hotel. We recommend for you to overnight at Carita, to “adjust” a little bit.
- Depends on time of arrival at Carita, lunch and/or dinner will be served at a local restaurant. Carita, a small town, might be crowded on long-weekends. But this is town is relatively quiet. You may swim, bodyboard, relax by the beach at Carita Bay. Beautiful sunset towards Sunda Strait, with the view towards far-away shade of Mount Krakatau.
- Next morning, early start, after breakfast check-out, proceed to Lippo Marina where boats are moored.
- Option A: cruise directly to Peucang Island.
- Option B: cruise to Krakatau first, and after about 2 hours activities at Krakatau, cruise to Peucang Island.
Krakatau + Peucang, Itinerary, 4 Days 3 Nights
- Day 1: Pick-up at Soekarno-Hatta International Airport, Banten (*), or at the hotel in Jakarta. Drive to Carita (2 to 3 hours). Rest in Carita (Hotel 3-stars), lunch and/or dinner, overnight
- Day 2: Early morning start from Carita boat pier, cruise to Krakatau (1:30 hrs) or Peucang Island (3:00 hrs), by fastboat, lunch at Krakatau or Peucang Island, dinner Peucang Lodge Restaurant, overnight Peucang Lodge
- Day 3: Explore Peucang Island and Ujung Kulon mainland, breakfast-lunch-dinner Peucang Restaurant, overnight Peucang Lodge
- Day 4: early morning start, breakfast, checkout from Peucang Lodge, cruise to Cigenter Estuary, canoeing at Cigenter River, cruise to Badul Island, swimming, cruise to Carita, drive to Airport or Jakarta
- Accommodations (3 stars / lodge)
- Land transportation
- Boat transportation
- Meals and drinks (no alcohol)
- Permit and entrance fees
- English speaking guide
Do I have to overnight at Carita ?
- Krakatau (Carita > Krakatau): it is best to start cruising early morning from Carita, latest by 9:00 A.M.
- Krakatau + Peucang Island (Carita > Krakatau > Peucang Island): for late arrival at Soekarno Hatta International Airport it is best to overnight at Carita and cruise early on the next morning. If you start early from Jakarta, no need to overnight at Carita.
- Peucang Island (Carita > Peucang Island): it is best to start early morning from Carita, but we may also start cruising before noon.
Peucang (Sundanese languange) means Java mouse-deer (Tragulus javanicus). A species of even-toed ungulate in the family Tragulidae. When it reaches maturity it is about the size of a rabbit (or bigger, but smaller than deer), making it one of the smallest ungulates. It is found in forests in Java and perhaps Bali, although sightings there have not been verified. In daily speech, Indonesians call it Kancil, and every schoolchildren knows one or two stories about kancil which is often described as a clever animal. Peucang was called Meeuwen Eiland by the Dutch, perhaps due to many seagulls around the island during the “quest-for-spices” days hundreds years ago.